Vital Records (Marriage, Birth, Death)

Marriage Certificates

Marriage records are available for records dating from 1735 to the present. Marriage records for couples who filed their marriage intention in the Town of Acton are the only copies that can obtained. A certified copy can be obtained in person or by mail.

Birth Certificates

Birth records are public records except when the parents are not married at the time of the child’s birth. In such cases, photo ID must be provided to the Town Clerk and only individuals listed on the certificate can obtain the birth record. Records of birth are retained in the City or Town that the child was born in and / or where the parents were residing at the time of birth. A certified copy can be obtained in person or by mail.

Death Certificates

Death records are available for records dating from 1735 to the present. The Town Clerk's Office is responsible for original records of all deaths that have occurred in Acton as well as records for Acton residents who died elsewhere in Massachusetts.A certified copy of a death certificate may be obtained in person or by mail.

How Do I Obtain a Copy?

To obtain a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate, complete the request form. The form should state the name(s) and date of occurrence on the certificate you are seeking. Include a check or money order, payable to "Town of Acton", and a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

Mail your request to:
Town Clerk
472 Main Street
Acton, Ma01720

The fee for all vital records requested in 2019 is $5.00 per certified copy. Effective January 1st, 2020 the fee will be raised to $10.00 per certified copy.

Other Resources

The Massachusetts State Registry of Vital Records and Statistics can also provide certificates for Acton or any other Massachusetts community. Follow the link to their website for more information or call (617) 740-2600.

Certifications and Apostilles:
A state certification is sometimes necessary for documents which will be used for government and legal business outside the United States. A certification or legalization is generally necessary for documents which leave the United States. Common types of documents which require certification for acceptance into a foreign country include documents for an international adoption, diplomas issued by an American college or university and various types of records and contracts integral to a company which does business in a foreign country.